Monday, September 12, 2011

BLIND Date

Stella: Well, I know the masses are dying to know about my first-ever blind date. Although Batman says these should be called deaf dates these days because almost everyone has facebook and can look to see what the other person looks like. The only thing you really don't know is what they sound like... He's a clever one, that Batman. Well, in this case it was a completely BLIND date as this dude had NO IDEA who I was or what I looked like or any other facts about me other than 1. my name and 2. I am blonde. Let's just say our Match Maker did not provide him with any information at all so he must really trust his judgement to still come & show up with this limited amount of info. I knew a little bit more about the feller (whose Banter name I have not yet come up with... Tall? Tall Coach? I am not feeling creative at the moment and those names suck...) so I, at least, had some idea of who he was. I didn't have a mental image of his face... Just a tall man with a circle for a head. Anyhow, I went into it taking Uncle Don't Throw the Wrapping Papers Advice. "Go get a free meal, meet someone new and move on!" And I must say, it was actually not bad at all. At least with meeting a perfect stranger it's not like you've had a crush on them for years & can't believe this is finally happening & wanting it to go perfectly... So that took off some pressure. And like with a job interview, you just think.. Well, I'll look my best... Try to just sound somewhat intelligent and interesting... and that's all you can do. If you don't get the job, so what.

Loki: Whatever. How am I supposed to contribute to this? No one wants to listen to me ramble off something clever about blind/deaf dates and what it is like..yadda yadda. They just want you to continue to talk about this guy. This headless guy that you just met and had to "interview" with. I find interviews to be exhausting and horrible so I would hate to go in to a date thinking that it was an interview. I was set up on a true blind date almost 9 years ago with Big T. No, we did not meet for dinner or set down talking to each other...We met in a group at a bar and had the comfort of friends around. Anyway, I think it is funny how everyone wants to be so involved in this and know every detail. I am just happy you went on a date. Not that I think you are a lonely cat lady who needs to get out or anything. I just think that at least you agreed and took the chance to put yourself out there. So...you continue to date this dude or find yourself another date (since this one was set up and all.) I would think the 2nd date would be more nerve racking because you probably run out of all the interview questions on the 1st date. You know that people put up their "representative" on dates. It takes a while before the real person comes out. .... Don't listen to me. I don't know what I am talking about. Please Stella continue to tell us about your date with Keller? haha I dont know. Helen Keller? We can  come up with a name later when you have known him longer.

Stella: You're right. That's about the worst contribution to this blog that you've ever made. And probably the worst name suggestion of all time. Helen Keller is a girl for one thing. A dead one at that. Let's just call him: Single Man I Met at BWW for a Blind Date Last Night That My Cousin Saucy is Secretly In Love With- Oh Wait It's Not a Secret Anymore- And That Everyone Wants To Ask Me 200 Questions About Even Though I Only Have Gone Out With the Guy One Time. Well, maybe I should shorten that to:
 S.M.I.M.A.B.F.A.B.D.L.N.T.M.C.S.I.S.I.L.W.O.W.I.N.A.S.A.A.T.E.W.T.A.M.
2.Q.A.E.T.I.O.H.G.O.W.T.G.O.T.

Oh, I do amuse myself. Anyhow, I don't know what you're trying to say about putting up a representative. I tend to think of myself as a nice, pleasant person who is always cheerful and outgoing... So anyway, I wasn't really nervous once I got there. I actually beat him there and when I first walked in I saw this really tall blonde guy. Well, it just so happens that I graduated with this kid so I knew immediately that wasn't him. Shew. Avoided making an idiot of myself by introducing myself to the wrong tall man standing by himself. And then he actually came in about 2 seconds behind me & the initial greeting was a little strange, but that's to be expected. (But no awkward hug hello or manly handshake so another sigh of relief as I don't do either of those.) We sat in a booth in the back (so thankful it wasn't a table out in the middle) where he began to drill me with about 100 questions before I could even sit down. Hah. Then he would immediately apologize for asking the 100 questions, but I didn't really mind.. As long as he was coming up with things to say, I could just answer and return the question back. It was discovered within about 1.5 minutes that he didn't even know I was Choc Chip's niece. Thanks Match Maker Doofus for not telling him ANYTHING AT ALL so I sound like a fool assuming he at least knows basic facts about me. (I'm actually a little surprised he trusts that guy at all. But that's a whole other story. Guess I did too since I just showed up myself!!!) So then we order & I don't really remember eating, although we ordered the same exact thing. It's a sign... Just kidding. Oh, and he shared his cheese fries with me. (That was thrown in just to make Saucy swoon. HAHA) Okay, Loki. Say something unintelligent and then I'll pick up with the rest of the story.

Loki: Gee, you could just write a solo peice here. I have nothing to add and I am sure the readers are getting annoyed with my bantering that is interuppting the all-important date. I just hope that if you really end up liking this guy then your family will back off. Like if you say that you like him...and you tell people you like him, they will have you married off in a heartbeat I am sure. Sheesh. I feel like there is a lot of pressure. I just looked over at mom at the dinner table last night and she had a goofy grin on her face. Dad and I both were like...what is wrong with you? She just giggles and says that it is 6:40 so Stella is probably sitting down eating now. Then Cookie calls at about 7 and wants to know what we know. As if you got there and immediatly started texting us your thoughts on him. She then gets to talk to mom and they are both excited. I swear it is like you went on a date with Luke. Luke...or another church boy that mom had hand picked for you when you were 3. I wouldn't continue dating him just because everyone approves. How boring.

Stella: Hello. I'm not 18. I don't feel the need to rebel against my parent's approval. You'd just be jealous that Big T would move down a notch if the parents did indeed like him. (Since my ex drastically moved him UP in the parenta's eyes. haha.) And I'm pretty sure being a coach and being tall has at least given him 20 points. Although he does like the wrong football team so that might put him in the negative. But why did you say Luke's real name? I was just telling Bess how I think he's a Mimbo = Male Bimbo. Call him that if he ever comes up again so I can chuckle at it. He was hand picked for you by the way. She never picked out anyone for me. I think that's a little insulting now that I think about it.... But supposedly Tall Coach is as good as the Wacks. Hah. (According to Choc Chip who, of course, loves the Wacks seeing as how her daughter is one now.) Anyhow, I really feel the only pressure is FROM YOU.  The overbearing sister who feels the need to bombard me with questions & opinions & unsolicited advice. You were acting just as jumpy as Bess. You should have seen everyone STARING at me before I even left. Talk about uncomfortable!

SO.. after we ate he asked if I wanted to accompany him to the movies. Of course he didn't say it like that or I would have had to say no. We walked around the canal for about an hour since we were early... Then we saw "Horrible Bosses" which was a little (say it Bess!)  Awk-ward !!!!! Just not sure which crude joke is okay to laugh at... (ie. Will he think I'm disgusting if I laugh at this???) The ride back was a little quiet.. and the only time I thought to myself, "Say something!" But at this point, we've talked over 2 hours & covered every basic question you can ask someone you first meet without divulging your complete life history. And so, the end! I survived! And the verdict you've all been waiting for:  He was very nice & I would probably do it again if he was interested... Because who knows what he thought about me! Right now I can't even remember what his face looks like again. I'm really just glad this didn't turn out to be a piece on how I narrowly escaped a serial killer stalker or a Star Wars-quoting, Yoda-loving, live-in-my-parents-basement type of guy.

Loki: You just talked an entire post and never managed to say what you really thought about him.

 Thoughts? Go.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I immediately checked the blog after getting a text from Nana Bess. I am glad that you thought he was nice and didn't have a terrible or very awkward time. I agree with Loki that you didn't say much about how attractive you thought he was, your opinion on his apparel, etc. but then again.. he could in the future read past blogs and so maybe it's best to leave it general (Nana Bess can relay such info in an email). No pressure indeed.. someone to get to know and take one day at a time. I'm sure he thought you were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy I can promise you if I was not busy sat night i would have randomly shown up at your house to see you off haha I am afraid I, too, am a tad over bearing and should back off....i can not help myself! My mother and I already have you married off! she says to me Sunday morning "Wouldn't it be awkward if she marries him , then he'll know that you have a crush on him" ...hm....that would be a tad bit awkward. for now i will refrain from any comment which implies i am obsessed with him haha. I do like that you made a whole blog without ACTUALLY letting any of us know what you actually think. "he is nice" is not enough!

    OH, and He really really likes you and really really had a good time, and thought you were very honest! (he will def b up for 2nd date)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I was excited. I am THE MOM after all.. it is my right! I gave birth to the child...I am obbessively interested in any kind of date and esp a blind date with someone my sister deems acceptable! (and she did quote say, "He is as good as one of the Wacks") This very SAME excitement was shared as Small Town started off her beginnings with even taller small town coach himself. I remember Choc Chip and I making a special trip to Gma Moderns to BE there when he picked her up for their very first face to face date! So, don't feel bad that you had 1 sister who was there.. try having double! ha/ha... and again, I remember the excitement I shared with Choc Chip as her own curls went on her first date with Wack #1..Now this doesn't mean wedding bells will chime.. but it was fun seeing that the blind date was a sucess and not a big embarrassing event. And perhaps a date #2 will be in the future???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah what is wrong with a star wars quoting, yoda loving guy that lives with his parents????
    "May the force be with you"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Stella, you did good. And kept some things to yourself which is admirable and something I never could do. In our day we were supposed to 'play hard to get' but I was too honest and never held anything back. I either liked you or not. If not, no other date took place. However most dates that I liked liked me back and we ended up 'going steady' which wasn't so bad. And who knows what we talked about. I knew nothing about anything back then. It just would be really funny if the Tall Coach turned out to be someone serious. Then Small Town would have a person to understand her fate in life. She always said she was going to marry a lawyer or doctor and live in Dallas. So much for 'unanswered prayers.' It was nice you even shared at all. Don't feel you have too. It's our fault if we don't have a life and want to live vicarously through you. Most of us do remember our first dates..so we are on your side. Go easy and do only what feels right (after praying of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TMC...I laughed at your comment!!! I can totally see Bess grinning ear to ear...along w/ Choc Chip! Mom's are like that! I know, because I'm a mom! :o) I'm glad you had a nice time and I hope to hear more about this "Tall Coach" in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find your last sentence quiet insulting Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I must comment, because Saucy said I had to. What", am I Nana Bess now and do whatev my daughter tells me. Bah ha! I too am very excited about this dating thing with TallBoy. I don't have them married yet, but I do think they could be quite compatible. Yes, time will tell. And of course I do believe there is another date in the very near future. Remember Stella when you were so excited and amused when Curls was starting to date her Golden Boy. Well...it is our turn to get excited about Tallboy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha I only wish you w ere like Bess and did what ever I said!! ,

    Stella, I have NO life and want to live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anyone know who Anonymous is???

    ReplyDelete